Our Wedding Day

Daisypath Wedding tickers

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Today I know why I am a Relief Teacher

It was 1.00pm. The kids were seated on the mat. I took the role and then reached for my chosen book - "Bad Jelly the Witch" by Spike Milligan. I started reading. It was a joy to watch the delight spread across their little faces. They appreciated the funny voices I used for the characters. A little Polynesian boy sat in front of me, at one stage I was afraid for his health, he was laughing so hard.

I feel lucky and blessed that I am free to share these moments with children. I used to teach in the mainstream, day after day in the beauracacy that teaching has become, where most of the life seems to have been squeezed out. I don't remember having as many days that I can actually say I enjoyed. I enjoyed today.

Maybe I have more freedom now as a relief teacher. I enjoy my special moments of just being able to read to children. There is nothing better for me than watching children laugh and begin to relax. During their day of structure and routine at school, I think I provided a respite for them so they could just sit and enjoy the written word.

1 comment:

Tarn said...

Nice one! I've always loved that teachable moment. Sadly they don't happen often enough in a prescribed curriculum. There are few joys like rolling around on the floor laughing and experiencing the awe that magical author's allow us to experience. xx