Our Wedding Day

Daisypath Wedding tickers

Sunday, January 10, 2010

Coffee.......why all the fuss? Leave us innocent addicts alone.


There is plenty of hype about coffee drinking. It leaves toxins in the body, increases cholesterol, keeps you up half the night, blah blah blah! Plenty of experts all telling us the terrible repercussions of drinking too much coffee.

There seems to be more positive advocates on the Internet for the drinking of 3-4 cups a day. I support a 3 cup a day habit, sometimes 4 on a low energy day. Hey! I gave up smoking nearly 6 years ago and as I age I can't seem to handle more than two glasses of wine before I turn squiffy! She can't handle her booze like she used to. Coffee, it's my last remaining vice!

I have been influenced in the past by the boggy men or women of the dieting world, GIVE UP COFFEE, ITS BAD FOR YOU! So, I have given it a go. The headaches. Saying they are not pleasant is an understatement. Not to mention, there's a slight shaking of the hands. I remember mentioning these symptoms to a work colleague. I received a look from this person that equalled me confessing to having just given up heroin. "Sounds like an addiction to me" she said. Needless to say my attempts to give up coffee last less than a day and I willingly return to my favourite beverage.

DECAFF. Dear lord, what is the point? Ok, some people argue and say "Its the just the same if you like the taste of coffee". I have been inflicted with the odd coffee of decaf when I was offered it, and there wasn't the real option available. To me it seems that they have not only removed the caffeine, but the favour and taste as well. It just isn't the same.

My first coffee of the day. Ok, there may be the habitual, 'must have' feeling when I first get up in the morning, but that first coffee it seems to settle my body and mind, gets me going in the morning.

When Angus asks me "Coffee dear?", its like asking me if I would like some extra oxygen today? To me coffee is an elixir of life!

No comments: